Skip to main content

Lovely Loja

Loja is absolutely gorgeous!

It's even prettier than Cuenca, surrounded by green mountains.  There are always big puffy cloud when the sun is out, or it becomes cloudy and drizzly and it's not quite as pretty then.


I've been able to find things here -- laundromat, hair salons, post office, market,...

My hotel is great -- Hotel Paris, and it's about $16 a night.  It's a huge room, they clean it daily, it's in a great location, and it's fairly quiet.  I think there are only 2 of us on the 5th floor.

Even 5 floors up in a city, there is a rooster that starts at 4:15.  I can barely hear him but it's enough to wake me up.

Sunday is Market Day.  I walked to one park and bought a lot of things from indigenous women selling jewelry and stuff.  The other market is mostly a vegetable and fruit market but I got a few other things there.  I can't wait to get my apartment and go to the market to buy fresh produce to take home!


The town squares and churches are the prettiest I've seen.  Similar to Lima, maybe.  Much prettier than Cusco or Quito, with the colors.


So liking it so far.  Today I go to Fine Tuned English to get my schedule and materials, start teaching tomorrow around 2:00 pm.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Hi cuz, I just wrote you this really long response and my finger hit something and it disappeared. So now I don't have time to think about it again. Darnit! I hate that! Anyway it's Lo'ha with a long o and a short a. Happy early bday!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And how nice it must be to be surrounded by green mountains. I remember when the mountains of California were green. Now most of them are either black or brown. Maybe next year they will be green again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Galapagos: Isla San Cristobal

I arrived in San Cristobal at about 9:30 am, on the 7:00 am boat out of Santa Cruz.  Thankfully, the ride wasn't as rough as the Isla Isabella boat ride. Still, it wasn't fun, and it was hot inside the boat. I got to town and, using my map, found my hotel, Pension Suiza. It was a little ways up into a neighborhood but still an easy seven minute walk from town. When I found out there was no A/C, I was a little disheartened, but with a strong fan, it turned out to be fine. There’s a kitchen you can use and a refrigerator, which is very nice for leftovers and beers/sodas bought at the convenience store. After settling in, I went down to the Malecon for lunch, where I had “chicken fajitas” which was a glob of chicken with mayonnaise and a few diced tomatoes wrapped into a cold flour tortilla. It was edible but was $6, plus a $3 iced tea = $9 just for a very basic, boring lunch. After lunch, I took a taxi to Playa Mann, the best beach near town. There are p

New Years Eve in Banos

Ecuadorians truly know how to celebrate New Years Eve.  Rich with customs and traditions, New Years is a playful goodbye to the old to allow for the new. It's a cross between Halloween and Santacon.  People dress up as all kinds of different things, and  they wear lots of masks and wigs. After I met a group of nice guys, I just had to try on a couple of their wigs. I do NOT look good as a blonde. Then are the mannequins -- the before pictures.  They are supposed to represent things you want to change -- they can be specific people you know, customers, or just weirdos.  The townspeople take a lot of care in creating these very elaborate "people". At midnight, everyone drags their "people" into the middle of the street, douses them with gasoline and lights them on fire.  If you jump over them, that means good luck (I think). This is actually me jumping over the fire. Then there are

The Middle of the World: Zero Degrees Latitude and Quito

Arriving in Quito My second time in Quito started out a little rough, as did the first time when I puked all night.  This time, I arrived at the Quitumbe bus station from Banos.  I'd forgotten to check to see what the taxi fare to the Mariscal Sucre area of Quito should have been ($12) so when all these people ran up to me at the airport, yelling out, "where are you going?"  When I told them Mariscal they said $12! $12!  I said no, I want a taxi with a taximeter.  (This is what Lonely Planet insists you do.) So I went outside to the taxi area and waited for an open taxi.  A family nearby asked if I needed a taxi and I said yes.  They flagged one down for me and let me have it.  They were being helpful, the guy calmly asked where I was going, and I told him.  I asked if he was using a taximeter and he said "of course, it's the law" like I was some kind of criminal.  I felt absolutely safe and secure. A half hour into the ride, when the meter was at $15 I