Skip to main content

I'm Doing This!

For months, I went back and forth, back and forth:   should I do this? Should I go teach English in another country?  Can I afford it?  Can I bear to leave my kitties for awhile?  What if I love it and never want to come back?

I finally decided that since it's something I've wanted to do for years, and since all my stuff is in storage and my cats are getting settled at my mom's, now is the time.  So I'm doing it!

Six months ago I was all set on Spain (too expensive). Four months ago I was going to Vietnam (too hot). Two months ago I settled on Ecuador because the low cost of living allows me to stay long enough to really experience the culture in a meaningful way. And because of this display I saw in Nordstom's:


I think this was a sign from the Universe telling me to go for it. So I'm going for it! I leave Tuesday, August 5 and I'll be gone for 6 months.

I will be going to a school in Montanita, Ecuador, to learn how to teach english as a foreign language. After 5 weeks, I will receive a CELTA certification which allows me to teach english as a foreign language anywhere in the world.

Montanita is a surfer dude town on the beach, and I'm super excited to get there. I'll be staying at the school, which has a residential program.  Students each get their own cabana and all meals are included.  It's a 10 minute walk from the beach.

After the first 5 weeks, I'll probably end up in Quito or Cuenca, which is where most of the teaching jobs are. Both of these towns are high in the Andes, around 9,000 feet in elevation.

 I would also like to explore Chile and Argentina at some point in my trip. Hopefully this experience will help me get an entirely new perspective. I can't wait for what's to come!

Comments

  1. Hi! I read about your excursion because I'm a SF Giants Fan. Enjoy the journey and I'll check in regularly.

    Tracy Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I'm really hoping to find a bar with the Giants on down here. I've had a rough start actually. All travels were fine but I think I have altitude sickness. I was really sick all last night. Hoping the decrease in altitude today will help.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Down Teaching English in Loja

I have officially completed one full week teaching English at in Loja, Ecuador.  It's been interesting, and I can't say I'm thrilled at this point.  The way things are done here is so different than at home, it's hard to go with the flow. I was offered the job by the school's "international recruiter" which was interesting.  There was really no interview, just a conversation about Loja.  I was told I started Monday so I started thinking of a lesson to introduce myself and have students introduce themselves.  My questions about who and when I would be teaching remained unanswered until Monday at 3:00 when I was supposed to meet with one of the managers.  She was out that day.  So I was eventually filled in, told that I'd be teaching teens.  If anyone knows me, this was my biggest nightmare scenario. So I started Tuesday night, from 3-6, one hour each to 3 Teen classes at the same level which is supposed to be Early Intermediate since they've

New Years Eve in Banos

Ecuadorians truly know how to celebrate New Years Eve.  Rich with customs and traditions, New Years is a playful goodbye to the old to allow for the new. It's a cross between Halloween and Santacon.  People dress up as all kinds of different things, and  they wear lots of masks and wigs. After I met a group of nice guys, I just had to try on a couple of their wigs. I do NOT look good as a blonde. Then are the mannequins -- the before pictures.  They are supposed to represent things you want to change -- they can be specific people you know, customers, or just weirdos.  The townspeople take a lot of care in creating these very elaborate "people". At midnight, everyone drags their "people" into the middle of the street, douses them with gasoline and lights them on fire.  If you jump over them, that means good luck (I think). This is actually me jumping over the fire. Then there are

Lovely Loja

Loja is absolutely gorgeous! It's even prettier than Cuenca, surrounded by green mountains.  There are always big puffy cloud when the sun is out, or it becomes cloudy and drizzly and it's not quite as pretty then. I've been able to find things here -- laundromat, hair salons, post office, market,... My hotel is great -- Hotel Paris, and it's about $16 a night.  It's a huge room, they clean it daily, it's in a great location, and it's fairly quiet.  I think there are only 2 of us on the 5th floor. Even 5 floors up in a city, there is a rooster that starts at 4:15.  I can barely hear him but it's enough to wake me up. Sunday is Market Day.  I walked to one park and bought a lot of things from indigenous women selling jewelry and stuff.  The other market is mostly a vegetable and fruit market but I got a few other things there.  I can't wait to get my apartment and go to the market to buy fresh produce to take home! The town sq