Skip to main content

La Ruta de Las Cascadas: The Route of the Waterfalls, Banos

When I arrived in Banos, I couldn't believe what a beautiful place it was.  Mountains all around, a waterfall visible from any point in town.  It was the first place in Ecuador that just felt right from the beginning.

When I checked into my hotel the Posada J which I recommend, the lady behind the counter mentioned that they had a waterfall tour the next morning on a bus, to 7 waterfalls.  The trip was to take 4 hours.   I thought what a great way to explore this town and its surroundings!  So I signed up.  (Plus, the price was right.)

The next morning a double decker bus pulled up to my hotel and honked.  I hadn't known it was a double decker -- I was impressed!  We of course drove by the waterfall right outside of my room, the Virgin Waterfall that is visible from anywhere in town.


Absolutely gorgeous.  Then we went to a little town nearby called San Martin?  There was a huge gorge there, which our bus drove over on a tiny, old bridge.  After the bus parked, you can take the cage trolly across and zipline back, or you can just take the cage trolly up and back.  I took the cage trolly both ways -- chickened out on the biplane which really makes me mad (the chickening out).



You can't tell but here's me on the cage trolly thing.  My camera batteries were dying so I rushed the nice girl who took it for me and ended up looking like a freaked out idiot.
This is looking down from the bridge the bus was on.  Very steep!
Next we went back to the normal road.  It's the same road you on which can rent a bike and coast down.  You can go the full 60+ km to Puyo, which is the beginning of the rainforest, or you can just ride as far as we went in the bus, about 15 km.  If I had known this was the same road, I would have done it on bicycle.  The views would have been even more amazing.

This was the 3rd waterfall.  It's called Manto de la Novia.  
There were a few other small waterfalls, can't remember the names but they were equally beautiful. They also had ziplines and those cage things which some of the people on our tour did.  And all around, we were in a cloud forest so that's not fog, SF people -- they're clouds, and they're hauntingly beautiful.


 

But check out this rock of Jesus Christ!  You have to look at it for awhile.  Right now I only see a monster but I saw it when I was there, man!  (Try covering up the bottom part that looks like a huge mouth)



And finally, we got to the Pailon del Diablo waterfall which is the biggest, most powerful waterfall I've ever seen in my life.

The beginning

Just about 10-15 feet below the top

About halfway down -- we couldn't see the bottom at all.  You have to walk back up the long, steep hill, cross the street and go down all those stairs like you see below.

It was truly a beautiful place.



All in all, it was a great day, and I met a family that I talked to most of the time.  The husband was on sabbatical from his college professor job and they were staying in Quito for 6 months.  The "kids" were in college and were on break visiting their parents.  Such cool people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Down Teaching English in Loja

I have officially completed one full week teaching English at in Loja, Ecuador.  It's been interesting, and I can't say I'm thrilled at this point.  The way things are done here is so different than at home, it's hard to go with the flow. I was offered the job by the school's "international recruiter" which was interesting.  There was really no interview, just a conversation about Loja.  I was told I started Monday so I started thinking of a lesson to introduce myself and have students introduce themselves.  My questions about who and when I would be teaching remained unanswered until Monday at 3:00 when I was supposed to meet with one of the managers.  She was out that day.  So I was eventually filled in, told that I'd be teaching teens.  If anyone knows me, this was my biggest nightmare scenario. So I started Tuesday night, from 3-6, one hour each to 3 Teen classes at the same level which is supposed to be Early Intermediate since they've

New Years Eve in Banos

Ecuadorians truly know how to celebrate New Years Eve.  Rich with customs and traditions, New Years is a playful goodbye to the old to allow for the new. It's a cross between Halloween and Santacon.  People dress up as all kinds of different things, and  they wear lots of masks and wigs. After I met a group of nice guys, I just had to try on a couple of their wigs. I do NOT look good as a blonde. Then are the mannequins -- the before pictures.  They are supposed to represent things you want to change -- they can be specific people you know, customers, or just weirdos.  The townspeople take a lot of care in creating these very elaborate "people". At midnight, everyone drags their "people" into the middle of the street, douses them with gasoline and lights them on fire.  If you jump over them, that means good luck (I think). This is actually me jumping over the fire. Then there are

Galapagos: Isla San Cristobal

I arrived in San Cristobal at about 9:30 am, on the 7:00 am boat out of Santa Cruz.  Thankfully, the ride wasn't as rough as the Isla Isabella boat ride. Still, it wasn't fun, and it was hot inside the boat. I got to town and, using my map, found my hotel, Pension Suiza. It was a little ways up into a neighborhood but still an easy seven minute walk from town. When I found out there was no A/C, I was a little disheartened, but with a strong fan, it turned out to be fine. There’s a kitchen you can use and a refrigerator, which is very nice for leftovers and beers/sodas bought at the convenience store. After settling in, I went down to the Malecon for lunch, where I had “chicken fajitas” which was a glob of chicken with mayonnaise and a few diced tomatoes wrapped into a cold flour tortilla. It was edible but was $6, plus a $3 iced tea = $9 just for a very basic, boring lunch. After lunch, I took a taxi to Playa Mann, the best beach near town. There are p