Skip to main content

More of Banos: Ziplining and a Person Puenting Off a Bridge

Banos is a haven for adrenaline junkies.  Canyoning, or rappelling down waterfalls, is offered at each of the 150 adventure shops jammed in 4 square blocks.  Most every shop rents mountain bikes.  Whitewater rafting is huge, as is zip lining and renting dune buggy-type cars.  So I went with Geotours on Lonely Planet's recommendation and on their high score for safety.

Some guy picked me up and drove me in a little truck to near where the waterfall road was.  When you enter the place, there are trout ponds where you can pay to fish for a trout.


Here's what a few tourists found in the trout pond:


Much better looking than the 1/8 inch thick trout I had one day in town.  So anyway, we walked up to the little office and got hooked into our harnesses.  Then we walked up to the first zipline.  I didn't get anyone to take a shot of me going down Superman style where you go head-first like you're flying.  Scaaaary.


Here I'm coming in, in bad form.  Legs should be crossed.
We were up really high, maybe 300 feet?  And it was over rocky rivers.  Just less than ten years ago, this didn't scare me.  But now since I'm old (I guess), I had a few long moments of panic as I zipped along, imagining how much it would hurt to fall and hit those rocks.  This picture overlooks my second to last zipline.

See the black line in the middle of the pic?  That's what I was on.  It went to the end of where you see the white water.
After we were done and back at the office, this cute little dog absolutely refused to walk on the leash.  Every time the guy pulled on the leash, he flattened himself to the ground.  Hysterical.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to Banos:  There is a new adventure craze in Banos and it's called puenting, which can be translated to "bridging".  It's like bungee jumping but instead of bouncing up and down, you swing like a pendulum under the bridge.  Imagine the bridge.  You stand perpendicular to it,  jump straight out so there's little bounce in the rope, and you swing in a huge arc underneath the bridge.  I caught a pic of this guy right before he jumped.

He jumped straight out, head first.

See him swinging under?  This was seconds after the jump.  I'm looking over the edge of the bridge.  I did not have the guts to do this.  No sireee.
Micellaneous Banos:   There are numerous stands where you can buy these little paper "cups" of toasted corn topped with a tomato/onion/cilantro mixture.  The locals go crazy over this -- everyone has one in their hand while walking down the street.  But it's best to find a park bench in a beautiful park like this and eat it.


This is Banos!  Loved it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Down Teaching English in Loja

I have officially completed one full week teaching English at in Loja, Ecuador.  It's been interesting, and I can't say I'm thrilled at this point.  The way things are done here is so different than at home, it's hard to go with the flow. I was offered the job by the school's "international recruiter" which was interesting.  There was really no interview, just a conversation about Loja.  I was told I started Monday so I started thinking of a lesson to introduce myself and have students introduce themselves.  My questions about who and when I would be teaching remained unanswered until Monday at 3:00 when I was supposed to meet with one of the managers.  She was out that day.  So I was eventually filled in, told that I'd be teaching teens.  If anyone knows me, this was my biggest nightmare scenario. So I started Tuesday night, from 3-6, one hour each to 3 Teen classes at the same level which is supposed to be Early Intermediate since they've

New Years Eve in Banos

Ecuadorians truly know how to celebrate New Years Eve.  Rich with customs and traditions, New Years is a playful goodbye to the old to allow for the new. It's a cross between Halloween and Santacon.  People dress up as all kinds of different things, and  they wear lots of masks and wigs. After I met a group of nice guys, I just had to try on a couple of their wigs. I do NOT look good as a blonde. Then are the mannequins -- the before pictures.  They are supposed to represent things you want to change -- they can be specific people you know, customers, or just weirdos.  The townspeople take a lot of care in creating these very elaborate "people". At midnight, everyone drags their "people" into the middle of the street, douses them with gasoline and lights them on fire.  If you jump over them, that means good luck (I think). This is actually me jumping over the fire. Then there are

Galapagos: Isla San Cristobal

I arrived in San Cristobal at about 9:30 am, on the 7:00 am boat out of Santa Cruz.  Thankfully, the ride wasn't as rough as the Isla Isabella boat ride. Still, it wasn't fun, and it was hot inside the boat. I got to town and, using my map, found my hotel, Pension Suiza. It was a little ways up into a neighborhood but still an easy seven minute walk from town. When I found out there was no A/C, I was a little disheartened, but with a strong fan, it turned out to be fine. There’s a kitchen you can use and a refrigerator, which is very nice for leftovers and beers/sodas bought at the convenience store. After settling in, I went down to the Malecon for lunch, where I had “chicken fajitas” which was a glob of chicken with mayonnaise and a few diced tomatoes wrapped into a cold flour tortilla. It was edible but was $6, plus a $3 iced tea = $9 just for a very basic, boring lunch. After lunch, I took a taxi to Playa Mann, the best beach near town. There are p