Skip to main content

Almost Halfway Through the CELTA Course!

Not tomorrow but the next day will be our halfway point.  I feel like I was born here, these people are my family, and this is where I live forever.  I can't believe it's only been just over 2 weeks.  It's really weird.

The workload is exactly what everyone says.  If you're thinking about doing this, don't take it lightly. We are in classes 6 1/2 hours a day (2 hours is either teaching or observing).  Then we work through our 3 hour break on lesson plans and assignments.  We work all weekend and try to take 1-2 hour breaks by walking into town.  Each lesson takes about 6 hours to prepare; assignments take about 12 hours.  We have 2 lessons to teach per week and one assignment given to work on over the weekend. Here is a picture of one of our fellow students prepared for the mosquitos on a mini break Saturday night.  Too bad the nylon white knee socks didn't show up too well.

Sexxxxy


There was a second trip to the Jungle Laundromat this week.  I got a pic of the shack:


It's really cool.  They put a shitload of perfume on your clothes so it smells really good until it wears off.  Everyone says that the other laundromats don't use the perfume but the clothes smell like a cross between fish and dirty socks and mold.  So I'm good with the perfume.

The weather is still really dreary.  I had no idea that the sun would NEVER come out!  It did come out one day from about 9-2 and it was wonderful but we were in classes until 1, lunch at 1:30.  I did manage to catch rays for about 20 minutes.  Went swimming and everything.

The problem with getting anything wet, though, is that it NEVER dries.  My towel has been trying to dry for 3 days; same with my sarong and bathing suit.  They start smelling moldy and that smell never comes out.  Lesson:  don't bring any good stuff down here.  It will mold.  I remember this when I lived in Mexico for 8 months.  During the rainy season, my zippers rusted onto my shorts, and rust spots showed up everywhere.  Everything was damp, including paper to write on (same with here.)  It's crazy!

Comments

  1. I am leaving another message - it is great to read you blog and see all the photos. What a great adventure you are having - even though we miss you we are so happy for you!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Galapagos: Isla San Cristobal

I arrived in San Cristobal at about 9:30 am, on the 7:00 am boat out of Santa Cruz.  Thankfully, the ride wasn't as rough as the Isla Isabella boat ride. Still, it wasn't fun, and it was hot inside the boat. I got to town and, using my map, found my hotel, Pension Suiza. It was a little ways up into a neighborhood but still an easy seven minute walk from town. When I found out there was no A/C, I was a little disheartened, but with a strong fan, it turned out to be fine. There’s a kitchen you can use and a refrigerator, which is very nice for leftovers and beers/sodas bought at the convenience store. After settling in, I went down to the Malecon for lunch, where I had “chicken fajitas” which was a glob of chicken with mayonnaise and a few diced tomatoes wrapped into a cold flour tortilla. It was edible but was $6, plus a $3 iced tea = $9 just for a very basic, boring lunch. After lunch, I took a taxi to Playa Mann, the best beach near town. There are p

New Years Eve in Banos

Ecuadorians truly know how to celebrate New Years Eve.  Rich with customs and traditions, New Years is a playful goodbye to the old to allow for the new. It's a cross between Halloween and Santacon.  People dress up as all kinds of different things, and  they wear lots of masks and wigs. After I met a group of nice guys, I just had to try on a couple of their wigs. I do NOT look good as a blonde. Then are the mannequins -- the before pictures.  They are supposed to represent things you want to change -- they can be specific people you know, customers, or just weirdos.  The townspeople take a lot of care in creating these very elaborate "people". At midnight, everyone drags their "people" into the middle of the street, douses them with gasoline and lights them on fire.  If you jump over them, that means good luck (I think). This is actually me jumping over the fire. Then there are

One Week Down Teaching English in Loja

I have officially completed one full week teaching English at in Loja, Ecuador.  It's been interesting, and I can't say I'm thrilled at this point.  The way things are done here is so different than at home, it's hard to go with the flow. I was offered the job by the school's "international recruiter" which was interesting.  There was really no interview, just a conversation about Loja.  I was told I started Monday so I started thinking of a lesson to introduce myself and have students introduce themselves.  My questions about who and when I would be teaching remained unanswered until Monday at 3:00 when I was supposed to meet with one of the managers.  She was out that day.  So I was eventually filled in, told that I'd be teaching teens.  If anyone knows me, this was my biggest nightmare scenario. So I started Tuesday night, from 3-6, one hour each to 3 Teen classes at the same level which is supposed to be Early Intermediate since they've