Skip to main content

What a Difference a Day Makes!

OMG, today I woke up feeling SO MUCH BETTER!!!  I had a great night's sleep.  It was nice and cool, I even used the little blanket.  Didn't even need a fan which I was so worried about.  Of course this is due to the fog, or the garua, as they call it here.  The climate is exactly the same as a foggy day in San Diego, about 72 degrees and a little humid.

After getting up, I padded over to the continental breakfast area.  There was a place setting all ready just for me, with a coffee cup, a bread basket, a little covered bowl of cantaloupe, and little covered containers of butter and jam.  The lady had been waiting for me.  She immediately went to work in the kitchen and brought out scrambled eggs with tomatoes and some kind of square, firm cheese that doesn't melt but had a good texture.  I felt so special!

Then I walked down the beach into town, which was a much shorter and safer walk than the highway.  Along the beach, there were about 20 little cabanas in a row that serve food or drinks.


First I walked through town to see if I could find any restaurants for tonight and finally found the one that was recommended to me.  So now I know where I'll go later.

Back on the beach, I found a little palapa bar serving cocktails and ordered a Caipirinha.  It was very good and lovingly prepared.  (That is the wind blowing my hair, by the way.)


After that I was hungry so I decided to try one of these food cabanas.  I chose one called Cabinas Johnny because  I saw a bunch of English people sitting there so I felt safe, as far as food safety goes.  I ordered the seafood soup which was TO DIE FOR!  At first I almost freaked out because I thought there was cream or milk in it.  But it turns out they used a peanut paste to thicken it (I asked).  There was yucca which is like potato but chewier, and a cilantro-tasting herb, but stronger.  It was so good and for only $3.50.  I felt very happy before wandering back to my hotel.  At the end of the beach, I had to chuckle at the rock on the tip of the bay.


In the evening, I went back into town to the restaurant called Rasimar.  It actually appeared on the internet under Olon Restraurants so I chose it.  Had the shrimp in garlic butter -- good but seemed overpriced at $9.  They also served paella and lobster but the prices were quite high for me.

Then back to my room at 8:00 to watch a movie.  The town was actually picking up a little but I wasn't into trying to strike up a conversation in Spanish at that time.

Comments

  1. So glad to hear about the new and better day. That's more like it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Down Teaching English in Loja

I have officially completed one full week teaching English at in Loja, Ecuador.  It's been interesting, and I can't say I'm thrilled at this point.  The way things are done here is so different than at home, it's hard to go with the flow. I was offered the job by the school's "international recruiter" which was interesting.  There was really no interview, just a conversation about Loja.  I was told I started Monday so I started thinking of a lesson to introduce myself and have students introduce themselves.  My questions about who and when I would be teaching remained unanswered until Monday at 3:00 when I was supposed to meet with one of the managers.  She was out that day.  So I was eventually filled in, told that I'd be teaching teens.  If anyone knows me, this was my biggest nightmare scenario. So I started Tuesday night, from 3-6, one hour each to 3 Teen classes at the same level which is supposed to be Early Intermediate since they've

New Years Eve in Banos

Ecuadorians truly know how to celebrate New Years Eve.  Rich with customs and traditions, New Years is a playful goodbye to the old to allow for the new. It's a cross between Halloween and Santacon.  People dress up as all kinds of different things, and  they wear lots of masks and wigs. After I met a group of nice guys, I just had to try on a couple of their wigs. I do NOT look good as a blonde. Then are the mannequins -- the before pictures.  They are supposed to represent things you want to change -- they can be specific people you know, customers, or just weirdos.  The townspeople take a lot of care in creating these very elaborate "people". At midnight, everyone drags their "people" into the middle of the street, douses them with gasoline and lights them on fire.  If you jump over them, that means good luck (I think). This is actually me jumping over the fire. Then there are

Galapagos: Isla San Cristobal

I arrived in San Cristobal at about 9:30 am, on the 7:00 am boat out of Santa Cruz.  Thankfully, the ride wasn't as rough as the Isla Isabella boat ride. Still, it wasn't fun, and it was hot inside the boat. I got to town and, using my map, found my hotel, Pension Suiza. It was a little ways up into a neighborhood but still an easy seven minute walk from town. When I found out there was no A/C, I was a little disheartened, but with a strong fan, it turned out to be fine. There’s a kitchen you can use and a refrigerator, which is very nice for leftovers and beers/sodas bought at the convenience store. After settling in, I went down to the Malecon for lunch, where I had “chicken fajitas” which was a glob of chicken with mayonnaise and a few diced tomatoes wrapped into a cold flour tortilla. It was edible but was $6, plus a $3 iced tea = $9 just for a very basic, boring lunch. After lunch, I took a taxi to Playa Mann, the best beach near town. There are p