Skip to main content

Quito in 36 Hours

I'm not sure if it was the buildup, then the letdown, or if I'm comparing this to living in Mexico 15 years ago, but I can't seem to get into the groove here.  I'm not particularly having fun and I can't put my finger on why.

A big reason for this is that I got either altitude sickness or food poisoning on my only day in Quito, and lastnight I was up sick most of the night.  This surprised me because when I went to Cusco, Peru, where the elevation is 11,000 feet, I didn't get sick.  Quito is 9,300.  I took Diamox both times.  So what the...

Anyway, so my hotel in Quito was called the Hotel Villa Nancy.  It was about $27.  Here is a pic:


The Nancy was in the Guapolo district of Quito, high on a hill above downtown, far away from anything.  Except the coffee shop next door, called Miele.  They served a nice breakfast but I was surprised that the price was almost the same as the U.S.

But the funny thing was the mini-bar, which cracked me up.


So on my only day in Quito, for some reason I completely forgot about going to see the Mitad del Mundo, the middle of the world.  It's latitude 0 and I think even longitude 0.  How could I have skipped that and instead, gone on a walking tour of Old Town?  

First of all it wasn't a good idea due to the ballet flats I tried to wear and which I found were impossible due to blisters after 10 minutes.  Secondly, it wasn't a good idea due to the impending altitude sickness which was at that very moment starting to hit me.  Third, I'd forgotten that I really don't like churches, which is mostly what I ended up seeing.  

The taxi driver proudly dropped me off at the Basilica del Voto Nacional.  He told me it's the  largest church in all of the world.




Note the gothic spire.  Very much like Barcelona's La Sagrada Familia.  Then I went walking to the neighborhood called La Ronda because it reminded me of Ronda, Spain, one of my favorite towns.  This La Ronda is a cute little neighborhood with multi-colored colonial homes, lots of art galleries, and restaurants (most of which were closed during the daytime).  I did find one cute little place called Los Geranios.  It had a beautiful little courtyard where I had some empanadas and a beer.  Then off to Museo de la Ciudad which was kind of lame, to be honest.  From outside the museum, if you look up, you can see La Virgen de Quito, supposedly the only virgen statue in the world with wings.


I had another taxi drop me off at La Mariscal, which is the neighborhood where all of the tourists go and where I didn't go because there are so many muggings at night there.  In the daytime, I felt fine.  But it was bar after bar and they were all empty.  It was boring and I didn't like it.  So I took a bus to find La Floresta, another more mellow area that supposedly had plenty of restaurants and hotels.  I got off the bus too far down and had to backtrack and couldn't find anything that wasn't too expensive so I limped to yet another taxi and went home, completely exhausted.  A little later I found a place nearby called Choris.  I had a side order of "chorizo" and kids french fries but it was still $8!  I thought this was Ecuador!  This is the reason I chose Ecuador over Spain was because it was so cheap.  Not so so far.   This makes me very mad.

So that's Quito in a very small nutshell.  Off to Olon at the beach.

Comments

  1. When do you register for your teaching certificate? Hopefully that proves to be more to your liking. Cheers dear!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I registered when I signed up for the class so a few days after the last day I'll be receiving the certificate, then will try to find a job here. After that, not sure if this will open any doors for me or not; possibly corporate training if the teaching adults experience qualifies me

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Down Teaching English in Loja

I have officially completed one full week teaching English at in Loja, Ecuador.  It's been interesting, and I can't say I'm thrilled at this point.  The way things are done here is so different than at home, it's hard to go with the flow. I was offered the job by the school's "international recruiter" which was interesting.  There was really no interview, just a conversation about Loja.  I was told I started Monday so I started thinking of a lesson to introduce myself and have students introduce themselves.  My questions about who and when I would be teaching remained unanswered until Monday at 3:00 when I was supposed to meet with one of the managers.  She was out that day.  So I was eventually filled in, told that I'd be teaching teens.  If anyone knows me, this was my biggest nightmare scenario. So I started Tuesday night, from 3-6, one hour each to 3 Teen classes at the same level which is supposed to be Early Intermediate since they've

New Years Eve in Banos

Ecuadorians truly know how to celebrate New Years Eve.  Rich with customs and traditions, New Years is a playful goodbye to the old to allow for the new. It's a cross between Halloween and Santacon.  People dress up as all kinds of different things, and  they wear lots of masks and wigs. After I met a group of nice guys, I just had to try on a couple of their wigs. I do NOT look good as a blonde. Then are the mannequins -- the before pictures.  They are supposed to represent things you want to change -- they can be specific people you know, customers, or just weirdos.  The townspeople take a lot of care in creating these very elaborate "people". At midnight, everyone drags their "people" into the middle of the street, douses them with gasoline and lights them on fire.  If you jump over them, that means good luck (I think). This is actually me jumping over the fire. Then there are

Galapagos: Isla San Cristobal

I arrived in San Cristobal at about 9:30 am, on the 7:00 am boat out of Santa Cruz.  Thankfully, the ride wasn't as rough as the Isla Isabella boat ride. Still, it wasn't fun, and it was hot inside the boat. I got to town and, using my map, found my hotel, Pension Suiza. It was a little ways up into a neighborhood but still an easy seven minute walk from town. When I found out there was no A/C, I was a little disheartened, but with a strong fan, it turned out to be fine. There’s a kitchen you can use and a refrigerator, which is very nice for leftovers and beers/sodas bought at the convenience store. After settling in, I went down to the Malecon for lunch, where I had “chicken fajitas” which was a glob of chicken with mayonnaise and a few diced tomatoes wrapped into a cold flour tortilla. It was edible but was $6, plus a $3 iced tea = $9 just for a very basic, boring lunch. After lunch, I took a taxi to Playa Mann, the best beach near town. There are p