Skip to main content

Can we Say Inappropriate?

Another branch of my language school is requiring senior students to perform in a highly inappropriate play.  The brother of the manager of the school seems to have the illusion that he's a world-famous TV director and producer.  He wrote this ridiculous play in Spanish because he doesn't speak a word of English.   And yes, he is paid for the script by the school.

The play is about a dysfunctional family.  There is spousal abuse, arguments and yelling.  The 13-year old in the class gets held by the neck and threatened by the father figure.   The father figure carouses with other women and brags about it.

Evidently, at the end, the father figure kills his wife, chops her up into pieces and serves her for dinner.  Maybe this is to someone he suspected was sleeping with her?  Because he says, "you ate her in real life, now you eat her again."    Can the machismo be any more overdone?

And here's the kicker:  the guy who is to play the father figure is the director of the main school in Loja.  He doesn't show up at rehearsals because he thinks he can wing it.

And the play is in Spanish!  Even if it was a good play, wouldn't a language school do a play in English so students can practice speaking English?  Am I missing something here?

The idiocy astounds me.

Comments

  1. WTH??? That would never fly in the US. It would not even make it as a B rated movie. The parents actually let their children perform in this olay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTH??? That would never fly in the US. It would not even make it as a B rated movie. The parents actually let their children perform in this olay?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Down Teaching English in Loja

I have officially completed one full week teaching English at in Loja, Ecuador.  It's been interesting, and I can't say I'm thrilled at this point.  The way things are done here is so different than at home, it's hard to go with the flow. I was offered the job by the school's "international recruiter" which was interesting.  There was really no interview, just a conversation about Loja.  I was told I started Monday so I started thinking of a lesson to introduce myself and have students introduce themselves.  My questions about who and when I would be teaching remained unanswered until Monday at 3:00 when I was supposed to meet with one of the managers.  She was out that day.  So I was eventually filled in, told that I'd be teaching teens.  If anyone knows me, this was my biggest nightmare scenario. So I started Tuesday night, from 3-6, one hour each to 3 Teen classes at the same level which is supposed to be Early Intermediate since they've

New Years Eve in Banos

Ecuadorians truly know how to celebrate New Years Eve.  Rich with customs and traditions, New Years is a playful goodbye to the old to allow for the new. It's a cross between Halloween and Santacon.  People dress up as all kinds of different things, and  they wear lots of masks and wigs. After I met a group of nice guys, I just had to try on a couple of their wigs. I do NOT look good as a blonde. Then are the mannequins -- the before pictures.  They are supposed to represent things you want to change -- they can be specific people you know, customers, or just weirdos.  The townspeople take a lot of care in creating these very elaborate "people". At midnight, everyone drags their "people" into the middle of the street, douses them with gasoline and lights them on fire.  If you jump over them, that means good luck (I think). This is actually me jumping over the fire. Then there are

Galapagos: Isla San Cristobal

I arrived in San Cristobal at about 9:30 am, on the 7:00 am boat out of Santa Cruz.  Thankfully, the ride wasn't as rough as the Isla Isabella boat ride. Still, it wasn't fun, and it was hot inside the boat. I got to town and, using my map, found my hotel, Pension Suiza. It was a little ways up into a neighborhood but still an easy seven minute walk from town. When I found out there was no A/C, I was a little disheartened, but with a strong fan, it turned out to be fine. There’s a kitchen you can use and a refrigerator, which is very nice for leftovers and beers/sodas bought at the convenience store. After settling in, I went down to the Malecon for lunch, where I had “chicken fajitas” which was a glob of chicken with mayonnaise and a few diced tomatoes wrapped into a cold flour tortilla. It was edible but was $6, plus a $3 iced tea = $9 just for a very basic, boring lunch. After lunch, I took a taxi to Playa Mann, the best beach near town. There are p