Skip to main content

Remembering Montanita #2: The Wildlife

I had never expected to encounter so much wildlife in a beach party town in Ecuador.  But it was all around us.  Partly because we were down a dirt road a little ways out of town and the area used to be full of farms.

First we have Little Burrito, from the previous post and his mom.  There were about 5 donkeys in the area.



These are the street dogs that were probably attacking Burrito.  They were friendly enough with humans though.  A few of the breeds used to herd us into town, walking alongside and slightly behind, making sure the herd of humans stayed together.  Whenever one dog went into another's territory, there was barking and posturing, then they'd either make friends or fight.  We saw a few dogfights that were not pleasant.



 A horse lived behind my room and I would hear him neighing sometimes, but they normally took him elsewhere to graze.



There were chickens EVERYWHERE, and the one behind our cabanas started at 3:15 every morning.  He would hit it on the hour, at 4:15, 5:15, 6:15, and I was usually up by 7:15.  Well, I guess it's a rooster, huh?  Anyway, the rooster was the topic of many a breakfast conversation at the long table, and what time everyone first heard it that day.

The best part was the cows.  The herd lived behind us on the farm but they were released to walk down the road every day.  They were quite imposing, and if you were trying to cross the road, you better get off to the side and wait because they were not going to slow down or stop.


The funniest part was during our classes, they would sometimes graze outside the window of the classrooms.  They would moo really loud, interrupting the lesson and causing us to giggle.  They would also wake us up in the mornings with their moos.  They had funny moos too, like "mow the lawn" but all stretched out, "maaoooow".

Missing Montanita a little...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Week Down Teaching English in Loja

I have officially completed one full week teaching English at in Loja, Ecuador.  It's been interesting, and I can't say I'm thrilled at this point.  The way things are done here is so different than at home, it's hard to go with the flow. I was offered the job by the school's "international recruiter" which was interesting.  There was really no interview, just a conversation about Loja.  I was told I started Monday so I started thinking of a lesson to introduce myself and have students introduce themselves.  My questions about who and when I would be teaching remained unanswered until Monday at 3:00 when I was supposed to meet with one of the managers.  She was out that day.  So I was eventually filled in, told that I'd be teaching teens.  If anyone knows me, this was my biggest nightmare scenario. So I started Tuesday night, from 3-6, one hour each to 3 Teen classes at the same level which is supposed to be Early Intermediate since they'v...

Living in Ecuador: The Good, the Bad and the Annoying

Good Things about Ecuador Rent is super cheap.  If you are paying $450, you are living the high life.  If you're not, you can get small unfurnished apartments for $150-250.  This was my apartment, $90 a month including utilities, shared with 2 other girls. Food is super cheap.  You can live on $10 a day eating out all 3 meals.  Waiters are also full-service, and they don’t expect tips.  (You just have to be a little patient and don’t drink alcohol to stay within that budget.) Almuerzo del dia, or lunch of the day, is the best deal around.  You get a delicious bowl of soup, a meat, rice, a small salad/slaw, and a tiny desert.  All for anywhere between $2-3, depending on the place. When you’re in a restaurant eating, other customers say good morning, afternoon, or evening to you as the come into the restaurant, or simply, “Buenas”.  They also say “Buen provecho” which means enjoy your meal .  I f...

Galapagos: Isla Santa Cruz

Las Grietas  The Galapagos islands are  amazing.  It's hard to believe that in the middle of the ocean it can be as hot and humid as it is, what with the ocean breezes and all.  I looked at Accuweather and it was 85 degrees but it sure felt hotter.  The humidity must have been at least 90%. Once I walked 3 blocks to my hotel, checked in, and got to my hotel room, which was up four flights of stairs, I was dripping with sweat.  I was so happy to have AC, I sat there for about half an hour just to cool down.  While resting, I noticed this classy sign: I only stay in the best hotel rooms in my travels.  Lol After cooling down, I went looking for lunch and happy hour and quickly realized how expensive everything is here!  A local beer in a bar is $4.50, a sandwich is $5.99 and a plate of spaghetti, $12.  I know that doesn't sound ridiculous to normal people but after Loja, where lunch costs $2.50 and a 20 oz Pilsner is $1...